Since the inception of clear aligners, Invisalign® has quickly revolutionized the world of orthodontics because there are now other options available to straighten your teeth besides metal, ceramic, or clear braces. You may want to visit a dentist in Hatfield to start Invisalign treatment, and you probably want to investigate your options between braces and aligners. Or perhaps you have general questions since this decision affects your overall quality of life.
Until recently, orthodontic treatment was focused mainly on children or teenagers and the preferred method was metal train-track braces. Today, about 20% of orthodontic patients are between 20 and 60 years of age, which is why Invisalign is becoming so popular as most adults find metallic braces on their teeth to be a bit of an eyesore.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign aligners are almost invisible. Metal-free Invisalign aligners are made from BPA-free clear plastic, and are custom made for your teeth. Our dentist in Hatfield will use x-rays, pictures, and impressions to create a precise image of your teeth and to configure your aligner trays accordingly. Every two weeks, you will receive a new set of aligners that slowly move your teeth towards their ideal positions. As opposed to metal braces that are adhered to your teeth, the Invisalign process allows you to take the clear aligners off whenever you want. However, if you want optimal results, it’s best when you wear the clear aligners for 20-22 hours every day. Because it is a new piece of hardware in your mouth you may encounter some pain and you may need to spend a few days adjusting to speaking.
What happens at your first visit/consultation?
While Invisalign can be useful in treating gaps, under and over bites, crowding and other issues, it is not ideal for every case. More severe cases of malocclusion would still require more traditional treatments like metal braces. By visiting our dentist in Hatfield, your consultation will really help determine if Invisalign is right for you or if you need to revert to more traditional methods. At your visit, ask all the questions you need such as:
- How will you start my treatment plan?
- How long will my treatment last?
- How much does Invisalign cost?
- Do you take payment installments, or do I have to pay all at once?
- Do you accept insurance?
- Is financing available?
- whether you’re still growing (faster) or whether you’ve finished growing (slower)
- how well you adhere to the daily recommended aligner “wearing time.”
- Run under cool water and brush gently with your toothbrush and toothpaste. There is also an Invisalign cleaner you can purchase. Never use hot water as it can change the shape of your aligners. Always ensure your aligners are clean before you place them in your mouth to protect your smile and your overall health.
- Aligners will stain if you put them in your mouth before thoroughly cleaning your teeth after eating high-staining foods like blueberries and tomato sauce or if you wear them while drinking red wine. Before you put your aligners in your mouth, ensure your teeth are clean.
How much does Invisalign cost?
Traditional orthodontic treatment like braces can be expensive procedures, but Invisalign is slightly more expensive. The large variance in price is determined by how complex your bite is, the duration of your treatment, and your coverage options from your benefits/insurance provider (if applicable). Our dentist in Hatfield at Dental Excellence of Hatfield will be able to give you a more accurate cost once we understand your own unique needs.
What to expect after treatment?
The technology that is used to develop these aligners is quite robust, meaning you’ll be able to see what your teeth will look like after your treatment plan is complete. That way there are no surprises or false expectations of what Invisalign can do to help your smile. Something to keep in mind is that with orthodontic procedures, there’s always a risk of your teeth reverting to their original position over time. Talk to our dentist in Hatfield to find out if a retainer is important in your treatment and make sure to wear your retainer as directed to maintain your new perfect smile.
No more metal mouth means you’ll smile more during treatment and you’ll spend less time in our office at Dental Excellence of Hatfield having adjustments! If you’re inspired and think you’re a candidate for Invisalign, please call (215) 330-2449 to arrange a consultation. We want you to feel happy and confident about your smile!